Al-Shabaab claims responsibility for deadly attacks on two hotels

by admin | Saturday, Jul 11, 2015

hotle wehliyeMilitant group Al-Shabaab says it was behind attacks on two hotels in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu, which have killed at least six civilians, Reuters reports.

One of the hotels, the Siyad, where fighting continued into the night, is near the presidential palace, raising questions about the government’s ability to protect itself against the Qaeda-affiliated group.

“Three fighters have been shot dead and another blew himself up inside the car bomb that hit the gate. The operation here is finished. So far we know six civilians died,” Umar Ali, a local police officer, referring to the incident near the Wehliya, the other attacked hotel, told Reuters.

Information on the identity of the civilians killed at the Wehliya hotel, a building near the fortified government district and frequented by top government officials, is not yet known.

The attack on that hotel reportedly began as guests inside its restaurant were sitting down to break their Ramadan fasts, one witness told the news agency.

The attack may be part of an attempt by Al-Shabaab to counter reports that it is close to being defeated by African Union-backed, UN supported forces (AMISOM), who have been working to prop up the weak Somalian government since 2007.

Over the last few years, the militant group has carried out deadly operations in neighboring countries involved in the AMISOM mission. In 2013, an attack in Nairobi’s Westgate Mall left 67 people dead, striking fear in the heart of Kenya’s capital. Earlier this year, a massacre at a local university in the northeastern Kenyan town of Garissa claimed 147 lives. Just last week, the group claimed responsibility for the killing of 14 civilians in a village near the Kenyan border.

Hiiraan Net

Webmaster@hiiraannet.com

Hiiraannet@hotmail.com

Hiiraannet@gmail.com

Like it? Share it!